Saturday, October 6, 2007

Raw Apple Muffins

We're up north this weekend visiting my father and enjoying one last fishing weekend before my husband and my father put Dad's boat dock and hoist away. Since my mother has been gone (she died four years ago), I've been taking over the cooking when we visit. So this weekend, I decided to make one of our favorite fall muffin recipes for brunch. They're from a church cookbook, and I've made them three or four times now. The only change I made from the original recipe was to eliminate the raisins. I like raisins in baked goods, but my husband doesn't. He likes raisins, but for whatever reason he doesn't like them cooked.

Anyway, here's the recipe...

Ingredients:
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
4 cups raw apples, peeled and diced
1 cup chopped walnuts, pecans, or peanuts

Combine sugars, eggs, oil, and vanilla in a small bowl. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Stir diced apples into the dry mixture and then add the wet mixture to the dry as well. Add chopped nuts lastly, stirring enough to combine all dry ingredients well. Distribute batter in sprayed or paper-lined muffin tins. Bake 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Makes 18 muffins.

2 comments:

Front Porch Society said...

I am definitely going to have to try this recipe as I still have some apples left over in the fridge from an orchard I visited.
Have fun with your dad while your husband is out fishing! :)

Karen said...

Hi Shorty! When I lived up north I used to visit an orchard or two every year. It was always fun to get the fresh apples and cider and to see the trees with all of their fruit.

Regarding fishing...Actually, all three of us went fishing together on Friday, though my husband just goes along to drive the boat. He doesn't care much for fishing, but he knows that it's an important way for my Dad and me to spend time together. I caught a 30-inch Northern and a smallmouth bass, and my Dad caught a few sunnies that weren't big enough to keep. We took pictures of the northern and the bass and then put them all back into the lake. It was such a blessing from the Lord to catch fish once more before putting the dock and the boat hoist away for the winter season.