Sunday, August 26, 2007

A Zucchini Brunch

Well, I have Tracy over at Mama's Fixins to thank today for a wonderful brunch menu. I thawed some of my grated zucchini, drained the extra liquid, and made both her zucchini quiche recipe and an adapted version of the chocolate zucchini muffins that she posted from another website. Both turned out really well, and I know that we'll use both recipes again. Thank you, Tracy, for providing such wonderful recipes!

I'm going to include the adapted version of the muffins, in case anyone else wants to try them the way that I made them. I replaced part of the oil with applesauce, and I used cocoa powder instead of baking chocolate, adding a little more oil and applesauce plus a little more sugar to make up for the difference between the two types of chocolate. I also used mini chocolate chips instead of regular sized ones since I had them on hand and thought the little tiny chips would be fun in muffins, and they were!

Revised Zucchini Chocolate Muffins

¼ cup + 2 Tbsp. cocoa
1 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup sugar
2 medium eggs
½ cup vegetable oil
½ cup applesauce
1 cup finely grated zucchini
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Stir together dry ingredients in a large bowl. Stir together wet ingredients in a smaller bowl. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients; pour in the wet ingredients and stir just to moisten. Fold in the chips. Pour into prepared muffin tins. Bake 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees. Yield: 18 muffins.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

I'm glad that you enjoyed the recipes!

Karen said...

Thank you again, Tracy. :-)