Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Baked Oatmeal

I'm home from work today with a really bad head cold. I rarely miss work, so this is pretty unusual for me, but not totally unexpected. My husband has had a bad cold now for about a week. His cold started this way, too--congestion in the head, a sore throat, and a lot of fatigue, even though I slept about 12 hours from the point when I first fell asleep last night. Right now, I feel good enough to do a little work around the house, but I know that I need to go back to bed soon so that my body can rest and recover.

As usual, though, I pushed myself to make something good for the two of us to have for a light meal this morning. I so enjoy cooking that I can even make myself do it when I'm feeling a bit light-headed and clumsy from the congestion. I tried Tracy's baked oatmeal recipe from her Mama's Fixins recipe blog. As usual, I was very pleased with the result. The only change I made was to bake the apples and cinnamon with the oatmeal, whereas Tracy's recipe seemed to call for baking them separately. My husband, who was a bit of a skeptic when he heard me mention "baked oatmeal" for brunch today, had to admit that it was really good and that I can make the recipe again. You can find it here on Tracy's blog. Next time I make this, I'm going to double the recipe! :-)

3 comments:

Front Porch Society said...

Heh, I hope you are feeling better!! Being sick is no fun. I admire you for pushing through and still managing to cook. Me? I just lay in bed and will starve myself. When I get sick, I get really sick - and it is all I can do to make myself even roll over! lol.
Anyway. Hopefully the flu/cold has run its course in your family and is gone so y'all can get back to doing things again! :)

Karen said...

Thank you, Shorty! I am feeling better today, though I'm glad to have the option to work from home...no long commute and I've been able to drink lots of liquids, which always helps. My husband is nearly done with his cold, too, hopefully. He's back to work in full force, anyway. I hope that you're staying well. God's blessings!

Front Porch Society said...

That is great you have the option to work from home! :) So glad to hear both of you are starting to fell better, too.