Thursday, January 10, 2008

Pork (or Chicken) Fried Rice


We grilled pork steaks recently and ended up grilling more than we needed that night. So I immediately thought of this fried rice recipe that my husband and I both really enjoy.

It originated with a recipe that came from the
Splendid Table program on Public Radio, but I've adapted it quite a bit from the original. I always add more types of vegetables, and I also add oyster sauce just before serving for additional flavor. This makes a big batch, so we generally enjoy it three times before it's all gone.

Oh, and I should mention that the sesame oil, if you haven't tried it before, is a key ingredient in this recipe. You don't use much, but it has a big and important impact on the dish. It adds a lovely warm, nutty flavor that can't be beat! (Store the bottle of oil in the refrigerator after opening.)

Ingredients:
4 eggs, beaten
salt and black pepper, to taste
vegetable oil for frying
1 lb. thin-sliced meat (pork or chicken)
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
1 (generous) cup diced carrots (cooked to tender)
other vegetables as available (I sliced up leftover green and yellow zucchini squash)
6 green onions, sliced
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 cups cooked white rice
2 Tbsp. (or more) oyster sauce

In a wok or large non-stick fry pan or pot with a small amount of oil, cook the eggs as if making an omelet without any filling. Season with salt and pepper, and flip once to cook both sides. Then remove to a plate and slice in thin strips to add to the fried rice before serving.

In the same pot, stir fry the meat, using more oil if necessary. (I skipped this step since my meat was already grilled, and then added it after stir frying to reheat it.) Then add the onions and garlic and stir-fry until the onions start to become translucent. Add the mushrooms, carrots, and any other vegetables that you want to use. As I mentioned earlier, I also sliced up some leftover green and yellow zucchini squash.

When the meat and vegetables done, add the cooked rice and stir to mix. Add the soy sauce and oyster sauce, then the green onions and eggs. Serve hot, and enjoy!

No comments: