Tuesday, January 1, 2008

A New Year...and a Tennessee Orange Cake


Happy New Year! We had a lovely Christmas with my father here from up north and then also spending time with my husband's family here in the Twin Cities. And then last night we had two of my husband's old friends here for a little New Year's Eve party. Both of them are bachelors, and both of them are older men who have some level of disability. They have jobs, and one of them lives on his own in an apartment, but neither of them can drive.

We had a great time with them last night playing Monopoly, singing around the piano, and then praying the new year in together. It was so sweet to hear them talk with our Heavenly Father. What a privilege to share New Year's with these two brothers in Christ!

I made a big brunch meal (waffles, scrambled eggs, sausages, and fruit) late this morning for the four of us (our two overnight guests and my husband and I), and then my husband drove them home while I started on my baking projects. I made a double batch of my Grandma's banana bread recipe, a batch of refrigerator raisin bran muffins, and a Tennessee Orange cake, which is pictured above. The bread I plan to share with some friends this weekend at an Epiphany Party (to celebrate the 12th day of Christmas), the bran muffins will make easy breakfasts for us, and the cake is for my husband's nephew, who recently declared that it's one of his favorites. His birthday is tomorrow, so we're getting together with my husband's side of the family after work for dinner, and this cake will be our dessert.

The recipe came from my dear mother-in-law, who gave it to me shortly after we were married. She told me that it was my husband's favorite cake, and though he does really enjoy it, he didn't remember it being his absolute favorite...But anyway, it's a great recipe, and I was glad for an excuse to make it again. Not that we needed something sweet again so soon after Christmas, but our nephew is a wonderful young man and we enjoy gathering as a family for our birthdays.

Tennessee Orange Cake

Ingredients:
2 eggs
2 (11-oz.) cans mandarin orange slices, well drained
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking soda

Beat the eggs. Add the oranges, and then the dry ingredients. Beat four minutes on low speed. Pour into a prepared (oiled and floured) 9x13 baking pan, and bake for 30-35 minutes ina 350-degree oven.

Topping:
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 Tbsp. milk
3 Tbsp. butter

Bring topping ingredients to a boil in a small saucepan, and then pour over the baked hot cake. Sprinkle 1 cup chopped walnuts over the top of the cake. Serve with whipped cream.

2 comments:

Front Porch Society said...

Wow!! This cake looks delicious and so simple to make!! I am going to have to give this a try sometime! :)

Karen said...

Hi, Shorty! Happy New Year! And yes, this cake it both delicious and easy to make. And all but two pieces of it disappeared last night at the birthday party...even though we'd all eaten too much at a Chinese buffet for dinner earlier in the evening! Now I officially MUST start back on my routine of more moderate eating...though as I keep up my pace on the treadmill I hope to still be able to enjoy an occasional treat. :-)